Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sabbath

A day of rest...I'll go for it!

In reading a book on Jewish culture, by a very devout Rabbi, I learned the beauties of Sabbath. It is a necessary part of Jewish society to function because it holds the spiritual values and restful time with the Lord that every worshipper of God needs. It is meant to be a day of rest, a day set apart, with little distractions, no job to go to, no manual labor to be done, but peaceful rest with time in the Word and time spent praying. After reading this chapter, I looked forward so much to such a day of rest and time to study the Word.

But most Jews aren't so dedicated to their Lord anymore. The Sabbath (Shabbat) is really anything special, much like Sunday is to America. There are certain Jews that are faithful to the traditions and religious customs, but most don't make a difference.



On friday night the whole IBEX group/staff have a Kabbalat Shabbat meal (a receiving of the Sabbath) to start the Sabbath off. It was much like communion, with the bread and wine (shows us where Jesus' got the ideas for communion--Passover!). And it was a wonderful meal with some friends. Then we had chapel for the first time. It was so enjoyable to sing praises, especially in English! But how much do I miss chapel back at Master's in the States!!! On Saturday morning, the whole moshav has church (most people where I stay are Messianic Jews) and it was good to see other families living near me.

Then we got to go into the Old City of Jerusalem and spend a free day in their for a few hours. Life was normal in the city, interestingly enough. There were more traditional garbs worn, and more rabbis walking around with their little proteges. It was neat to be in the city for such a day though.



And I'm still learning the techniques of bargaining and the buisness nature of the Jews and Arabs here. Overall, people here are rude (especially their driving!), but are friendly and pleasant if you speak to them or need something from them. Anyway, I needed to buy a watch. And I hadn't really set aside the time to look for one. We had about 20 minutes left before the bus came to pick us up. So I went back into the shops and walked into the first watch shop I saw. Like most people, he kept shoving things in my face wanting me to buy them. I asked him for a cheaper watch and he gave me a basic one for 25 shekels (about $6.50). I bartered it down to 15 shekels (about $3.50) and was satisfied and put it on.

I wore it to sleep that night and the next morning when I wake up, one of the arms broke off and was barely attached by the medal piece on my wrist. So I consented to carrying a watch in my pocket with a missing arm. At one point I pulled it out of my pocket and I guess I put too much pressure on it and a little corner broke off as well! AH! But the worst came near the end of the day Monday. I looked at my watch and it said 1:30pm and I started panicking, wandering what happened. Well, I found out it was around 4pm and knew that this watch was too good to be true! So much for paying for an overpriced watch and having it break within 48 hours!

...But just so you keep your confidence in me. I got a sweet messenger bag for 80 sheckels ($20) when it was originally 120 shekels ($30), when I barely even haggled the lady for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment